How To Care For Your Bag
Your Cambridge Satchel bag is made from 100% natural cow leather which may feature wrinkles, markings and colour variations. This is all part of the beauty and charm of a cambridge satchel product - it is completely unique to you. Our hard wearing product will last if cared for in the correct way. We recommend that you take the following measures to get the most out of your bag:
- Wet sanitiser can cause irreparable damage to our products, discolouring or altering the surface finish of the leather. Please make sure to wait a few seconds until your hands are fully dry before touching the leather. Rest assured that once your hands are dry, there is no risk of damaging your product.
- Please avoid using your satchel in heavy downpours. If the leather does get wet, please wipe off any excess water and allow to dry naturally. Following this we would recommend that you apply a leather protection cream to help repel water and nourish the leather, however please remember to test any product on an unobtrusive section of your bag beforehand.
- Although leather is very durable, it is not indestructible. Exposure to extreme cold or heat and improper care or cleaning can crack and dry leather skin, remove finishes and colours.
- If left in direct sunlight there is a chance the colour of your satchel may fade.
- You may choose to care for your leather satchel as with other leather products using an appropriate protector. Please remember to test any product on an unobtrusive section of your bag beforehand.
- Your bag will age over time, please don’t panic as this is normal as it is a natural product. Ordinary Vaseline works well on minor scuffs and abrasions to buff your satchel.
- Please be aware that highly coloured dyes in the leather may transfer across to lighter clothing and vice-versa - we cannot accept responsibility when this occurs.
Special Care is recommended on the following products;
- Bridle Leather - The Bridle leather is soft and supple, with natural variations that will add character with age. Due to the natural characteristics of this leather, some colour transfer may occur. Therefore care should be taken when wearing against light coloured clothing. Exposure to rain and prolonged exposure to sunlight should be avoided. It is recommended that a Water Stop spray is used for added protection.
- Blazer Leather - The Blazer leather is soft and supple with natural variations and creasing that will wear and character with age. It is recommended that a Water Stop spray is used for added protection.
- Metallic Care - Due to the delicate nature of this metallic finish some surface finishing may be lost with time and abrasion. This cannot be re-applied. It is recommended that a suitable metallic protector is used for added protection.
Printed Leather - Due to the nature of the printed finish on some of our bags, some surface finishing may be lost with time and abrasion. The printed finish cannot be re-applied, so it is recommended that you use a suitable protection spray on your bag.
We would suggest you use the Carbon Pro or Carbon Pure Spray, as this will help to protect the print further.
We recommend the following care products from Collonil to assist in prolonging the life of your bag. These are all available to purchase in our stores (please note: this link will take you to our £ GBP website).
The Collonil Delicate Cream
Cleans & cares for leather.
Cleans & softens the surface of the leather.
Revives and restores colours
Collonil Waterstop Spray
High grade waterproof protection spray for all leathers.
Waterproofs and prevents dirt penetration.
Contains UV filters to prevent colour fade.
Collonil Organic Protect and Care
Contains Olive oil as the active ingredient to waterproof & soften.
Highly effective waterproofing spray.
Suitable for all products made from leather, nubuck and suede.
Can also be used on textiles.
Solvent & propellant free.
Collonil Carbon Pro Spray
Extremely durable protection against dirt and wetness.
Optimal reliability of protection on all material surfaces.
Protection that works like a “spray-on membrane”.
Can be combined with all Collonil care products.
We recommend spraying from a distance of 30 cm and allow to dry.
Collonil Carbon Pure Spray - 100ml
The Collonil carbon pure is a waterproofer without a propellant.
It is a pump spray with pure active substance for maximum protection, and is suitable for all materials.
It has an Innovative carbon technology with a long-lasting effect against moisture and dirt.
Carbon Pure also gives a long lasting protective layer whilst remaining breathable, and is a water based and solvent free spray.
Collonil Bamboo Lotion – 50ml
The Bamboo lotion is a highly effective cleaning spray, suitable for all leathers and suedes.
It uses the natural cleaning and softening effect of Bamboo, and removes deep dirt without discolouring leather. It is also propellant and solvent free.